Tuesday, February 17, 2015

A recent side project

My apologies for the silence! I've been out for the past week, courtesy of a sinus infection that's knocked me on my ass. I'm starting to finally feel a bit better so I thought I'd post pictures of the side project I'm currently working on. A friend of mine is doing an elven ranger cosplay but couldn't find a circlet that fit the image in her head, so I've attempted to help out.
I can't stress enough that I really don't have any experience making something like this, so I thought it would be an interesting challenge. I actually really struggled with cutting the worbla evenly... so much so that I took a detour and resorted to lining the worbla with a soutache ribbon to see if that would force me to keep my lines straight. That plan backfired pretty quickly and I went back to stage one but, if nothing else, I'm finally becoming comfortable wielding scissors.
My friend said she wanted something similar to the simplicity but stature of Galadriel's crown and so I researched my images and got to work. My poor styrofoam head is rather the worse for wear, having been melted by the heat gun too many times and I think it might be about time to pick up a second one, but I still found it manageable. I didn't prime the surface with anything before setting the strips of worbla on top of it, and I think that might have been what salvaged the project: it didn't budge from it's perch atop the mannequin head until I pried it free.
I'm pretty sure I'm teetering on the edge of a ramble here, so I'll just post the pictures. As always, I'll be more than happy to answer any questions that are posted in the comments. That'll mean that someone is reading this, at least :P
Okay. Picture time!





No comments:

Post a Comment