Wednesday, February 25, 2015

Back with more expanding foam

Rebellion's blade has been coated in foam and I've finally finished carving it down to size. It's a big sword, but I'm loving how light it is so far!
I was a little apprehensive about cutting away at it at first but, despite the fact that my rug has developed goliath dandruff, I found the process to be a great exercise in stress relief. Is that weird? Probably. But it was kind of nice coming home from a long day at work and taking out a little frustration while knowing I was being productive. This is what the blade looked like when I finally got it down to a thickness I was happy with:

Rebellion tapers from a seam in the middle of the blade straight down the sides without multiple... layers of beveled edges I guess. I'm not well versed in swordmaking terminology. What I mean to say is that the center of the blade is the highest point and it slopes down to the sharpened edges instead of being predominantly flat and then sloping sharply down at the edges of the sword. I hope I didn't totally mangle that explanation.
I started shaving the sides off to recreate the desired look, and that part actually did make me nervous. I was afraid I was going to shave too much off and be left with an uneven surface. Once I got as close to symmetrical as I could, I took some medium-grit sandpaper and rubbed down the sides of the blade. It really smoothed them out, although I would definitely recommend wearing a mask if you do this. Little foam particles do get everywhere.
Here is the blade so far. I got it from two different angles in the hope that you'd be able to see the defined edges.

I'm going to be working on the hilt soon, so I'll update then. Thanks for reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment